The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Ground wire to fender.

Pic has been found! It was on the laptop a friend was cleaning up from a virus attack. I had to go to his house to get it but while I was there I bought a part from a forum member.

Here is what I plan to do.
1). Chase threads with a tap and die set (dad will help me) to clean out new paint.
2). Mark area covered by that round connector. Use Dremel tool to clear off that area of paint and get it down to bare metal.
3). Use dielectric grease to prevent rust on fender area under connector.

*If anyone has a bolt that will fit that hole and will spare it, I'll pay you for it.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
1968aj

Re: Ground wire to fender.

glad you found that picture
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
AussieinNC

That bolt is the same as the fender inner to fender bolts, except for the star washer....

BTW...you do know that lead is not factory,,,its a crimp end someone made up at some time to replace the original ground strap..ground straps are usually open weave copper flat style leads with soldered ends....

See: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=188

One note...and I see this so often....the star washer goes between the fender and the lead, with the flat washer bearing directly on the flat terminal of the lead.

The pic shows the washer was outside of the connection...

The purpose of the star washer is two fold...it acts a a shake proof washer, but more importantly, the sharp edges of the washer bind into both the fender and the cable end, ensuring a good connection..just clean the area around the bolt hole to match the size of the cable end, clean the inner face of the cable end with sand paper and place a little dielectric grease on the washer, tighten it down and you will be good to go.

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
That bolt is the same as the fender inner to fender bolts, except for the star washer....

BTW...you do know that lead is not factory,,,its a crimp end someone made up at some time to replace the original ground strap..ground straps are usually open weave copper flat style leads with soldered ends....

See: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=188

One note...and I see this so often....the star washer goes between the fender and the lead, with the flat washer bearing directly on the flat terminal of the lead.

The pic shows the washer was outside of the connection...

The purpose of the star washer is two fold...it acts a a shake proof washer, but more importantly, the sharp edges of the washer bind into both the fender and the cable end, ensuring a good connection..just clean the area around the bolt hole to match the size of the cable end, clean the inner face of the cable end with sand paper and place a little dielectric grease on the washer, tighten it down and you will be good to go.

Not factory you think? My dad would have put that on there in the 1970's and I doubt he remembers why.

I thought the same thing about that washer....that it was on the wrong side of the connector. Now dad would have known better on that I expect....maybe the 1990's awful painter got that back on wrong.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote