The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
CHEVYJEFF

Column Protecton

With all the fawkers messing w/ our trucks recently. I have been trying to figure out the best theft prevention method. I know there is really notheing from keeping thieves breaking into the truck, but how to stop them from actually taking it is wht I am trying to figure out.
The best thing I can think of is that column gaurd that used to be made by mcgaurd or someone. Lately I have been taking the fuse out of the ecm to keep the truck from starting. Anyone else got any ideas? The club is b.s. all you need is a hack saw to get by it. The detachable steering wheel is a pain in the arse to carry around. Wish I could wire up a 110 volt system to shock the steering wheel somehow kinda like a shock collar..lol
90 V10 BLAZER
97 REGAL LSR 2100 (BOAT)
CHEVYJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Only way I've known is to add an igntion kill switch. I had mine ran from the starter to the switch then to the HEI cap. Then you can route the switch where ever you want to hide it.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Yeah, I have an ignition kill switch too. Its the best way. My truck was actually almost stolen from the previous owner, but they couldnt get it because of the kill switch. That sucker will turn over for ever, but wont start because of no spark. Its pretty confusing to a theif. Everything seems normal, but its not.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

I still say if they want it bad enough they are gonna get it.

Its just hard to have anything nice.

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Bags, wheel locks, locking tonneau cover, shaved tailgate, shaved door handles, alarm w/ starter disable, and an Auto Lock is my protection.

Last edited by BaggedC10; 04-20-2004 at 05:51 PM.
BaggedC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #6
CHEVYJEFF

I know if someone wants it bad enough they will get it. The thing that discourages most thieves I think is the amount of time it take to steal a car. We all know that all you need is a screw driver to break a window then the column on a gm car or truck, so I believe that if you can protect the column you can secure the truck. Has anyone seen that steering wheel that will disengage from the hub and free spin? Saw it on rides I think but cant find it anywhere. Looks like a cool alternative to the detachable steering wheel.
90 V10 BLAZER
97 REGAL LSR 2100 (BOAT)
CHEVYJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you want a sure fire way to protect your column, look into some of the all steel aftermarket replacement units. They are expensive, but so is replacing your truck.

My suggestion for your kill switch is the run a relay to the nuetral safety switch. If you break the ignition wire the truck will still turn over. If you break the wire to the nuetral safety switch, the truck won't turn over.

Another deterent is to add a small high db siren inside your dash. Try working under your dash with a siren screaming in your ear.

If you really want to make it harder, add a small xenon strobe unit under your dash too. Try working under there with a shrill siren screaming in your ear, and a bright light flashing in your face too.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:33 AM   #8
jimfulco

http://www.hard-steal.com/
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:50 AM   #9
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX

Another deterent is to add a small high db siren inside your dash. Try working under your dash with a siren screaming in your ear.

If you really want to make it harder, add a small xenon strobe unit under your dash too. Try working under there with a shrill siren screaming in your ear, and a bright light flashing in your face too.

i guess i'm gonna have to do that

great idea
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 02:08 AM   #10
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:

What a wicked idea... Rather than having it flash your headlights, have it flash the little strobes underneith the dash, and have two or three little sirens underneither the dash, lol!

Just gotta make sure you use armoured cableing for the sirens and lights so he doesn't just cut them off...

Overall, I'm gonna install a conventional alarm that uses only my horn (plenty loud enough) and a kill switch on my HEI's power supply so she won't start, but will just crank...
Old 04-21-2004, 08:56 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

There are plenty of other ways beyond the conventional install to deter a thief. I spent quit a bit of time at a high end stereo shop a few years ago when I had a compitetion car.

If you want more let me know....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:54 AM   #12
Eyegore
What Hump?

Someone told me that one guy got so tired of his car being stolen that he fastened razor blades under the dash, he came out window was bashed, blood everywhere, but the car was still there.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 AM   #13
Grim Reaper

Quote:
There are plenty of other ways beyond the conventional install to deter a thief. I spent quit a bit of time at a high end stereo shop a few years ago when I had a compitetion car.

If you want more let me know....
The instalation is the key. Best alarm in the world is worthelss if its installed where it is easy to get at. My 88 burb has a Ungo that for what ever reason does not apear to be hooked up. it's hanging right above the fuse box in plain sight.

There is a big dead cavity under the dash pad to the right of the cluster on the square dash pad trucks. Plenty of room to mount a brain there. Have to pull the dash pad to get at it. As long as the wires are all hidden then the thief would take off before they would dig that far to find it.

Its also stupid to tie in right there at the colum for the ig inturupt. Again the freaking relay is in plain sight so easily found and bypassed. If I were doint it I would tag it between the bulk head connector and the starter and hide the relay up under the booster. Theif is not going to take the time to crawl under the truck or snoop around under the hood looking for it. They want to gain access quick and then hide below dash level while they are getting it fired off.

You know what I think would be a slick set up is a keyed battery disconect. Kill the main cable down to the starter. Leave the fuse box hot so your stereo and stuff keeps memory. Theif will get clicks like it's got a dead batery and take off. Put the switch in the fender well or grill. Mount it up under the battery so it is hard to get at if they do pop the hood.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote