The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #1
IronX

Long time reader first time poster

I have a 71 Chevy c10 base model no trim on the sides and no power anything. The story of this truck is unique, My dad and mom bought it new and it’s ori purpose was hauling off debris after a spring tornado. My parents put a fields slide in camper in it and drove it on vacations and when they upgraded to a 78 3/4 ton camper special Chevy me and my brother took it on as our first truck. It’s a 3 on the tree and we drove it to screwel when we turned 16 it had a 307 with a little one barrel carb all factory. Well a few years ago mom got tired of seeing it in her front yard so she told me to drive it home. She didn’t have to ask me twice I drove it to work a few times and every time I sit in it I remember when I was that young scared kid learning how to drive in this big truck. The 307 developed a dead cylinder so I bought a 350 fmla crate motor from a stealership that was phasing them out so it is a direct replacement for the 307. It rolled the mileage to zeros while I was driving to work so it is new again to me! I spent a few grand on parts from brothers when they run sales because I am as poor I can’t even pay attention. It’ hasn’t been kept outside since I brought it home but it has rust under the doors and I put it in full primer to protect it. Now for the hard questions.. will the flywheel be a direct change over from the 307 to the 350 and will the saganaw take the HP. It’s not a racer just a truck to take out and enjoy. Another question is why when I ask the parts houses for 3 on the tree parts they treat me like I questioned their family tree forking... I have hit a wall and want to get the motor done before paint and the new moog front end parts on it so I can get this monster back on the road. Thanks in advance from your friend in Oklahoma.
Posted via Mobile Device
IronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Long time reader first time poster

The trans should take the power from a 350 Vs a 307, and all those engines are internally balanced, so there shouldn't be a problem with the flywheel. However, the harmonic balancer, its pulleys and the pulleys for the alternator and water pump may need to be changed with the new engine. Post up some pictures so that we can help.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
CastIron

I did a 307 to a 350 swap a few years ago with a similar setup. I machined the flywheel and reused it. If I remember correctly, it was the bigger of the 2 sizes. The 3 speed transmission will hold up just fine.
If your new engine is a 1986-up block with a one-piece rear main, you WILL need to replace the flywheel with the correct one.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
IronX

I am still learning to post pics so I’ll get those ASAP the saddest thing I saw was the “hencho in Mexico” on the side of the goodwrench crate. I was just praying the break in manual was in English! Thank you for your reply I was wondering about that before I put a new harmonic bal. on it since the old one was old enough to buy beer! Just an added funny. When I replaced the timing chain and gears on the 307 I rolled the chain off with my fingers while the gears were still bolted on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #5
IronX

Cast iron it is the 350 for the 71 but I don’t want to uncrate it till it is ready to go in so it don’t rust. I will check that though thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2018, 01:26 AM   #6
custom10nut

You’ll be fine with the Saginaw Three Speed behind the 350 crate motor. When I was a kid growing up on the farm, We had a 73 C-10 with the 350/4bbl/3ott combo from the factory. It was a real workhorse, and the only this that ever had to be fixed was the carrier bearing on the driveshaft.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote