The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

okay, so my rear drums are sticking??

well, i moved the car under the car port a minute ago to bleed the brakes out of the rain, and i noticed a loud groaning noice when ever i would hit the brakes and come to a stop in Drive. it was coming from the back end so i assume its the rear shoes draging on the drums??

how would i fix that? i've drove a lot in reverse to try and get them all working right, but i guess it didnt help
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:03 AM   #2
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide's 78p/u
there should be a little plug in the backing plate, remove it ant then you will see the lever to pushoutta the way..then adjust the starwheel till there's little to no drag on the drum...then do the reverse trick...
starwheel???

what part of the backing plate is the little plug on?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:39 AM   #3
1986Silverado
What I drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbaud
starwheel???

what part of the backing plate is the little plug on?
Should be on the backside(inside)at the bottom. Some have the plug some don't...ask me how I know My right rear began dragging...actually would not release and I had to put new springs and retainers on to solve the problem. And I had to drill a hole in the backing plate to get to the adjuster screw!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:37 AM   #4
blink32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986Silverado
And I had to drill a hole in the backing plate to get to the adjuster screw!

I can't speak 100% for the 86, but on the 76 the plug you would remove is actually on the Drum its-self. Requiring that you take off the wheel, use a punch to knock out the metal plug, adjust the wheel, then fill the hole with a rubber plug. I can see that as being a reason why you had to drill a hole in the backing plate to get to the adjusting screw.

OC, the plug should be about dead center on the lower 1/4 of the backing plate. If its not there pop off the same wheel and look at the face of the drum, you'll probably see 2 indentations 180 deg out from eachother. Those are the plugs you would knock out to access the adjusting star wheel.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Blink is right. No knock out on the backing plate on my truck either. It's on the face of the drum.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

so if i find that, i knock it out, and adjust the wheel on the adjuster so the drum isnt touching, correct? what about the parking brake? its what is dragging i believe
Old 06-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #7
blink32

Yes. When you spin the star wheel with a screwdriver or brake spoon it will let the shoes pull back towards the center of the axle giving you enough space to pull off the drums.

Parking brake, make sure its fully released. If it is released then there should be no real tension on the parking brake cable. If there is tension then you need to either loosen the jamnut where the parking brake tension adjuster is (usually drivers side framerail just behind cab?) to free it up. If that doesn't work then the rear cable or mechanism within the drum is hung up, and u could try to lube the cable. If its the mech in the drum you'll have to try to fish around in there with a screwdriver or brake spoon to free up the levers or just loosen the star wheel as much as possible and hope it gives u the slack u need to get the drum past the shoes.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote