The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2020, 11:55 PM   #1
Ultrasummer

Random question about motor mounts

So I pulled the engine out of my 1968 C10 today. When looking at the 2 motor mounts toward the front of the truck, They appear to be different from each other. Could this be that because of the torque or rotation within the engine one is more stout than the other? Or could it be someone's been in here before and didn't care if they were both the same or not? Everywhere I look for buying new ones...they both look the same. For that matter, is there a left and a right?
Ultrasummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Random question about motor mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasummer View Post
So I pulled the engine out of my 1968 C10 today. When looking at the 2 motor mounts toward the front of the truck, They appear to be different from each other. Could this be that because of the torque or rotation within the engine one is more stout than the other? Or could it be someone's been in here before and didn't care if they were both the same or not? Everywhere I look for buying new ones...they both look the same. For that matter, is there a left and a right?

They are the same. One of them has been replaced. GM had a problem with the early ones coming apart and letting the engine roll to one side and holding the throttle in the wide open position. They changed the design so that even if they came apart the engine could not roll one way or the other. You probably have one of the old design and one of the new design.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 AM   #3
mr48chev

I can agree with what Lockdoc said but may be as simple as two different brands of mounts installed at different times.

I'm not sure of exactly when GM changed the Chevy mounts so they had the fingers that would keep the left side of the engine from lifting under torque if the mount broke. Anyone who has been though that with a solid rod throttle linkage rather than cable will tell you that the throttle sticking wide open wasn't fun and that was usually what happened when the engine lifted up.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:17 AM   #4
Ultrasummer

well I appreciate the insight. I'm constantly learning new things on this site about these fun old trucks. Thank you
Old 03-26-2020, 02:31 AM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Actually it depends on what engine you pulled.
What are we talking about here? V8, L6, V6?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Ultrasummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Actually it depends on what engine you pulled.
What are we talking about here? V8, L6, V6?
The engine in question was a 1968 307.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

They are several versions for sale currently. The link below show two of them.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=773824
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
The engine in question was a 1968 307.
OK. Thanks for responding. V8s in my limited knowledge of them have symmetrical mounting, so the pads should be the same.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
68Gold/white

Try to get the ones in 455HO's post that he recommends. There are even different looking preferred mounts that other likely sell. The key is having the 2 steel plates interlock so the mount doesn't come apart. Having some sort of restraint on the drivers side of the engine helps...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #10
Wrenchbender Ret

There was a huge recall back in the 70's for that reason. GM put cables on the engine & wrapped them around the upper control arm shafts. They didn't replace the defective mounts but the cables kept the engine from rotating too far. I was driving one onetime when it did this. The throttle was wide open & it pulled the power brake check valve out of the booster. Luckally I knew about this & turn the key off. The engine flopped back down.
I was going up hill so I didn't have trouble stopping. Scary!

George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:03 PM   #11
70STOVEBOLT

The same thing will happen on a 250. It happened to me going down the highway once and I turned off the key and coasted to the side of the road, raised the hood and did not see anything wrong. Short time later I was pulling out of a parking lot onto a state road and I got on it to get moving quickly and the fan rubbed the shroud and made a loud noise and I let off and I felt the motor drop back onto the mount. I knew what it was then and replaced the broken motor mount and all was good again.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:43 PM   #12
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
There was a huge recall back in the 70's for that reason. GM put cables on the engine & wrapped them around the upper control arm shafts. They didn't replace the defective mounts but the cables kept the engine from rotating too far. I was driving one onetime when it did this. The throttle was wide open & it pulled the power brake check valve out of the booster. Luckally I knew about this & turn the key off. The engine flopped back down.
I was going up hill so I didn't have trouble stopping. Scary!

George
You may be interested in the recall letter. I also had a '65 Impala SS with a 4-speed. I broke a mount when slamming into 2nd about 1967. Luckily the throttle rod didn't bind.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2020, 12:09 AM   #13
Ultrasummer

Interesting piece of history you've got there. By now I've already ordered my motor mounts from LMC. They wouldn't sell them if there were prone to failure.....do you think? They are the stock mounts for my year. 1968
Old 03-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #14
HO455
Post Whore

I can't speak as to which style or quality of mount LMC sells it but the one that failed holding the generic 350 in my Burban was a NAPA mount with only several thousand miles on it. NAPA had several part numbers listed but only one was in stock and being in a hurry I was just happy they had them.
I recommend you look closely at the mounts you receive and compare them to the the pictures in my link above.
For my full post scroll down to post 412 here.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...698377&page=17
Old 03-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #15
Ultrasummer

Thanks for that info. I wonder....is it the center bolt that rips thru the rubber and now everything is free? I've seen some that have the metal plate on both sides, sandwiching the rubber or polyurothane. A bolt couldn't pull thru the sandwiched type. I'm not sure. I've already ordered from LMC but I may have to order better ones and send LMC's back.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #16
HO455
Post Whore

Photo of how mine tore apart.
Attached Images