The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
1986Silverado
What I drive

Preferable transmission fluid

What tranny fluid do you guys suggest? My tranny builder told me that he likes the ford type f or fa fluid due to the fact that the dextron was slick and gave soft shifts. He said the ford fluid would give it a crisper, more firm shifts. I've always used the dextron without problems.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
Bill W

I use whatever the manual says to use. I don't know for sure but on the bottle of tranny fluid some use the same fluid for different vehicles. I think perhaps Ford and Chev use the same fluid and Chrysler uses a different formula. Somebody can enlighten us I sure.

Bill
Bill W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:15 AM   #3
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I would suggest the Dexron III. Ford Type F fluid doesn't have the extra additives that the Dexron III does. That's why it produces a harsher shift that is harder on the clutch packs and steels. Yes, you can use the Type F fluid its up to you. It doesn't mean instant transmission death. Just saying I suggest and prefer Dexron. Its also not a good idea to use one type of fluid and switch to a different type. Its better to use the same type of fluid threw out the life of the transmission.

Quote from Pro Built Automatics:
The Ford type "F", was designed to work with asbestos type clutches, and the last were used 1977. The reason that it "appears" to make the shifts firmer, is that when the clutch/band applies, it comes on all at once at the end of the shift, appearing to be firm. Where the dexron III allows the clutch/band to start to apply at the beginning and throughout the shift, smoothness. When slipping starts to occur, changing oil & filter can fix this, and not necessarily changing to type "F" actually helped. Just changing brands sometimes does this, and then we "attribute" the change to whatever we believe. Borg Warner, Raybestos, and Alto have all run tests on this and come up with very similar conclusions. Type "F" has apx. 7-13% less holding power on "dynamic" clutches/band applications, and more holding power in "static" applications. Static is going from neutral to "D" or "R" position. Dynamic is where a shift occurs. Yes, there are always exceptions to this, but not from a design standpoint