The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
conoco

Trucks goes out of park to easy

I had my 2 year old in his car seat and we were driving around town for the day. When I got home i parked the truck and went to get him out of the passengers side because it is easier. His car seat only fits in the middle section of the bench. This little guy managed to kick my shift lever and it went into drive. I luckily was on the flat concrete pad at my house but there has got to be a fix for this.
I guess I never really noticed how easy it was to put into gear. Are all the trucks like this? If I remember correctly don't you have to pull back on the shift lever to then put the truck into drive? Can anyone tell me if I need to replace a part of something so this does not happen and have a bad result. Like parked on an incline. Thank you
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Trucks goes out of park to easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
I had my 2 year old in his car seat and we were driving around town for the day. When I got home i parked the truck and went to get him out of the passengers side because it is easier. His car seat only fits in the middle section of the bench. This little guy managed to kick my shift lever and it went into drive. I luckily was on the flat concrete pad at my house but there has got to be a fix for this.
I guess I never really noticed how easy it was to put into gear. Are all the trucks like this? If I remember correctly don't you have to pull back on the shift lever to then put the truck into drive? Can anyone tell me if I need to replace a part of something so this does not happen and have a bad result. Like parked on an incline. Thank you

Spray some penetrating oil into the column where the shift lever goes in. Use the small tube and insert it between the lever and shift collar as much as you can, above and below the lever. Then push the lever down toward the dash and pull it back up toward you a few times. It should move up and down a couple of inches. This usually loosens it up and improves shifting into reverse and park. The lever is supposed to be pulled back toward you to shift it in and out of park. Yours is not working correctly.

Also be sure and spray the lower end of the column and shift arm under the hood

Let us know if that helps....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
conoco

Thank you sir. I will let you know.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
Thank you sir. I will let you know.

Sounds good.

There should be no gap where the arrow is pointing in the picture, when the shifter is in the park position.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
pjmoreland

I had the same problem. The granddaughter of my truck's PO got in the truck and popped it out of gear. It rolled down the driveway and came to rest against the dad's truck. This thread shows what I had to do to restore a secure park position. Hopefully our column isn't worn like mine.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811096
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:21 AM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

You have to be extra careful with these trucks in some respects, even a dog can open a door for example. That was brought to my attention at the dump, could have been on the road (yikes!). I leave the passenger door locked.

Never a bad idea to use the park brake even just a pinch, less COLD anyway. OT: baby the park brakes, the cables will appreciate it long run - foot on the E-brake pedal to assist release.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:32 AM   #7
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I had the same problem. The granddaughter of my truck's PO got in the truck and popped it out of gear. It rolled down the driveway and came to rest against the dad's truck. This thread shows what I had to do to restore a secure park position. Hopefully our column isn't worn like mine.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811096
That's exactly what I am affraid of. It was honestly a blessing that it happened when it did ( on my flat drive way). I look back at the last 3 months and there have been about a half dozen times I have had my crib midget with me and I would stop to get gas, or stop by my neighbors house real quick and my son would just be right there in his car seat. Even though I have eyes on him the entire time, now that I know how easy it is he could have done that at any time !! Scares me to think about. He loves driving I. My truck, puts him right to sleep lol.

I appreciate everyone's comments, thank you all. I am up in the oilfields of alaska right now but I will be home in 9 more days! That's the first thing I will do when. I have some garage time
Old 10-04-2020, 12:34 AM   #8
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
You have to be extra careful with these trucks in some respects, even a dog can open a door for example. That was brought to my attention at the dump, could have been on the road (yikes!). I leave the passenger door locked.

Never a bad idea to use the park brake even just a pinch, less COLD anyway. OT: baby the park brakes, the cables will appreciate it long run - foot on the E-brake pedal to assist release.
Isnt that the truth. My 7 year old daughter drives with me in my truck often, every time she gets in I personally lock the door and tell her not to touch anything lol. I ordered the 3 point seatbelts and hoping to install those before winter. But still its scary to think about.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Here is yet more information on the subject.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491049
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
Killer Bee

parking brake