The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2022, 01:36 PM   #26
Kip7143

Re: Engine stalling

So there’s 2 hoses that connect from the canister to the carb. One goes to the top /front of the carb. This is where the float is located on the carb and where I found the majority of the charcoal pellets. I’ll post a picture.

Secondly, there’s 2 components which all the vacuum lines connect to on the motor, site at the right right beside the thermostat. Anyone have any idea what they are?

Second to that, I traced a vacuum line all the way around the back of the engine to a spot on the firewall. Also don’t know what the part is. I will post a picture.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Kip7143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #27
Dead Parrot

No clue on the pictured items. But the vacuum hose that goes into the cab is probably for the cab air handler controls. Trucks with AC had vacuum activated flappers early on. My 75 has a softball sized black plastic thing over by the blower motor. I think later vehicles moved it inside. It should have a hose to the intake manifold and a 2nd one to the vacuum switch unit that controls the various flappers.

At least up to 84, heater only trucks still had cable controls.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #28
Kip7143

Thanks for the reply. The truck doesn’t have AC. But maybe it does have something to do with HVAC.

No shop has agreed to work on my truck… so I guess I’m on my own.

So just to recap. Rebuilt ignition and checked timing. Changed vacuum lines (one at a time to not screw them up), rebuilt carb. While inside the carb I found a bunch of carbon deposits, which someone mentioned means a failing charcoal canister. Reinstalled carb with the needle cock-eyed. It flooded the carb with fuel and pushed it to the canister and it overflowed with fuel. During this period the truck ran really nicely! But fuel was everywhere. Took carb apart, made adjustments, back on truck and still running crappy and stalling. Now the truck won’t really run for more then 5-6 seconds before stalling.

So I’m going to replace the charcoal canister completely - it is full of fuel and I found a crack on the top /side. Reinstall and check all lines going to the correct location.

Run on solenoid hasn’t been changed or checked. Could also be failing.

Lastly…. Check the entire truck for a vacuum leak. Is there another way to check it other then running it and spraying carb cleaner? It isn’t running long enough to be effective. Can I use some sort of steamer or something?

Current symptoms are runs rough, can maintain idle if holding the throttle. If not dies after 5-6 seconds.

Thanks for all your input! Going to figure this out eventually
Kip7143 is offline   Reply With Quote