The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2004, 04:56 AM   #1
sam's 72

Don't know what to do!!

Well, I drove the 72 Friday for the first time since I put the 383 in it. Have a couple of bugs to work out. One is the tranny. I had the tranny rebuilt while I had it out, and there is something wrong with it, going to take it to the shop, and let them work the problem out. I didn't get on it too hard with the 383, rolled out of a stop got to about 25 mph, and put it in low gear and hit it, Man the tire went up in smoke big time, just took it up to about 4500. It felt good. But check this out. I finally get the truck back on the road after 6 months. Like I said, I have a few bugs to work out, no big deal. A friend of mine comes up to me after I took it for a ride and tells me he would like to trade me my truck for his 72 Nova. Said for me to pull out my engine and tranny, and will swap me my truck body for his Nova body. Now this car is as clean, if not cleaner then my truck, and my truck is pretty damn clean, it only has two rust hole in it, one is about the size of a quarter, and the other the size of a dime. The Nova, has just a little bit of rust around the trunk area, not much at all. My truck is complete, his Nova has the front clip off of it, it has the front glass out of it, and the back glass out of it. all the trim is off. the interior is in fine shape, has some mildew on door panels, but other then that it is right. He has a set of bucket seat out of a 68 Camaro for it that are in almost perfert shape. the car has a dent in one of the front fenders. The car is straight as an arrow, going to go back over there again and jack it up and look closer at the bottom of car. But I am thinking about doing this swap. I dont know why he waited for me to get the truck running to offer this, he has been comming around while I been working on getting this 383 inthe truck. He has also sand blasted and painted the intire fire wall and front frame rails of this car, along with the fender wheel. One of the concerns I have is my serpitine belt set up on my truck, I bought this all new, it fits a 98 vortec enegine, and I am not sure if it will fit under the hood of the Nova or not, got to go over there and take some measurements on it. If it will fit, man, it going to be a hard decission to make. what would you do. I have always wanted a Nova, 68-72. This car has factory air, factory disc brakes, power steering. Sorry for the long post, but dont know what to do here. Every single part to put the car back together is there, he even labled every bot and body shim, where all the shims go, has everything there. Now the truck I have has a desant paint job on it, the Nova is faded pretty bad, no way will I be able to buff it out, beside that it had a vinal top which he removed.
Sam
Old 08-09-2004, 07:14 AM   #2
smitty62

Keep the truck.

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:23 AM   #3
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

sounds like a decision you will have to make & live with for a long time. I personally would keep the truck since it is now driveable. you dont have to wait again. also the nova will not handle hard launches & the usual beating of hot-rodding that the truck will. unless you connect the subframes. even then I have seen the subframes break.
but you said you always wanted a Nova. will buddy be mad if you turn him down? will hw help get Nova on the road? I agree, Novas are super cool! I wouldnt mind owning another one in future.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:16 AM   #4
racedvl
Account Suspended

Sounds like your truck is on the road, and the Nova is not. . . . . To me sounds like alot more work and $$$ for you.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
67ChevyC10Stepside

yeah. truck you can drive. nova is work and money and hot rod trucks are cooler than the nova everybody and their brother has
Old 08-09-2004, 08:54 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'd swap for the Nova, but I'm not crazy about LWB trucks though.

A stroker Nova would be nice to have.