The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
Steve Carda

Shaved drip rails

I need advise on shaving the drip rails off of my 68. I looked in FAQ and found nothing.Any help would be great.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
pat

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=112628

Heres a thread I started about it. Apparently its really hard but im still gonna do it cuz it looks so smooth and good.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Steve Carda

Thanks. I have the metal fab and welding knowledge. I just want to know what to expect when I open her up. My thoughts were to use my slitting wheel to cut it off and then tack it as I go. I wonder how much goop and rust can be under there.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
slogo

I always start on the sides first starting at the bottom and working my way across the top of the door. just tack at this point but get all the rail out of your way. i take a sawzall and trim it away but be carefull not to cut away to much. take the saw or cut off wheel and make cuts in the rail (don't go to deep) about every 5 to 6 inches then cut out that section and make a few tack welds. space them out cause you will need to do some grinding till you get it to where it needs to be. remember to go slow and be careful not to cut away to much metal. do much the same on the front lip, cut sections in the rail and trim it away. you will need to grind it down to get the fit just right. always weld from the center out aways going the same distance on both sides before moving on. this is the way i do it, i've seen it done a few other ways but this works for me. if i were you and never done this before i would find me an old cab that was junk and practice on that first. just some good advise.. that way if you make a mistake on that you will learn and not destory your truck.....just my $.02. hope this all makes since and dosent confuse you. just remember to plan it before you cut it and take your time. you can do it, it's really not that hard to do just got to take your time.

Last edited by slogo; 08-13-2004 at 11:21 PM.
slogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:35 PM   #5
john@thepier

I like the shaved look especially when you also add the one piece window convesion . wing window deleet.Be sure to let us know how it goes.
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 08:34 AM   #6
vincep
Account Suspended

Slogo, I'm a little confused by what it is i'm seeing in the first picture. It looks like I see a sheetmetal screw and some cut metal. Maybe it's the cab rotated on a rotary device or something but I'm trying to figure out the orinentation of the photo. From looking at the second photo it looks as if the roof has also been rounded elininating the seam in the back. Very nice work. Care to come to PA and do mine. I got BEER.
vincep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:43 AM   #7
slogo

the first pic is the window frame on the blazer and that is just a spot weld you see.
slogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #8
Steve Carda

Slogo thanks for your help. That is more than I knew before. Is there anybody else with some advice? I gonna take pictures step by step when I do mine. That way everybody can get the idea.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:12 PM   #9
Bleach
this guy

So this shows you I've never done this, but why do you have to tack along when you cut the rails off? Is this the place where two pieces of metal are joined? Would I be able to do this with a sawzall and an angle grinder? I hate the drip rails as they are where alot of the rust on mine is from.
Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:12 AM   #10
Steve Carda

I believe because it will open up like a can when you start cutting the rails.