The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #26
dsraven

Re: old (member) new truck 1951 3100 deluxe

I really recommend to check the dash to knuckle clearances before you cut down the column. personally I have had issues with some of the new vehicles because of how I grip the wheel etc. I am forever turning on the wipers or signals in some vehicles due to how close those switch levers are to the wheel. in an old international firetruck i used to operate the wheel was very close to the dash and sometimes my knuckles would drag on the dash panel. it wasn't just me who had this problem, just so you know.
to do a test run install a cardboard spacer on the dash that will space the dash outwards, parallel to the steering column, the amount you plan to shorten the column. then do a test run and see if your knuckles rub the cardboard.
the alternative could also be a shorter seat?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #27
yote1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I really recommend to check the dash to knuckle clearances before you cut down the column. personally I have had issues with some of the new vehicles because of how I grip the wheel etc. I am forever turning on the wipers or signals in some vehicles due to how close those switch levers are to the wheel. in an old international firetruck i used to operate the wheel was very close to the dash and sometimes my knuckles would drag on the dash panel. it wasn't just me who had this problem, just so you know.
to do a test run install a cardboard spacer on the dash that will space the dash outwards, parallel to the steering column, the amount you plan to shorten the column. then do a test run and see if your knuckles rub the cardboard.
the alternative could also be a shorter seat?

all great info and advice. again i thank you very much and will keep you updated . Dave
1968 Camaro 327
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #28
dsraven

as with any sold axle truck, it is important to grease the parts regularly. this helps with the armstrong steering effect. there is a thrust bearing between the axle and the steering knuckle that supports the weight of the front end and helps in the turning function by allowing the knuckle to turn easier. when greasing ensure some grease comes out around this bearing as that ensures it is seeing grease. yes, there is supposed to be a seal in there but in actuality it is likely not sealing anyway so the best sealing compound for that is grease. lube it and wipe off the excess so it doesn't drip on the floor etc. use a grease that is made for the purpose of a wiping (on the bushing sections) and a rolling action (inside the thrust bearing, which uses ball bearings usually). whenever greasing a part the weight must be taken off the parts to be greased, so the truck needs to off the ground, obviously.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #29
yote1234

Good advice. thank you again my friend. Dave
1968 Camaro 327
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:14 AM   #30
dsraven

No problem.
One more hint. When doing chassis lube it's best to hang the suspension so no weight of the truck is applied to the suspension when lubing. Thos unloads all the grease points so grease can get squeezed in where it needs to be. I usually use axle/jack stands under the frame.