The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
frsyth72

'76 brake help

The other day I was pulling into the parking space at and the brake pedal when straight to the floor I was in luck though and there was this acura that was able to stop me, no damage to my truck but took out the whole finder of the car. Anyways after I got stopped I noticed a Puddle of brake fluid under the truck by the front passanger tire, but couldn't find a leak any where. When we got the truck home I started bleeding the brakes,(still couldn't find any leaks). Now I know when you are bleeding brakes you start furtherst from the master cylander, but it looked like the fliud came from the front so I wanted to check there, but they both had really good pressure. then to the back, nothing, the driver side would give about one drop of fluid out the even less out of the passanger. I pulled the drum off the passanger side and the whole brake was soaked on the inside by this goo that looked like brake fluid, grease and gear oil. I was thinking that the wheel cylander just went out, dose any one recommend checking/changing anything else out when I got to replace the cylander?? Plus it is fun because I just had surgury on my shoulder so I am trying to do it all one handed, at lease the wife will help me move the 33"s off :p thank you for any advise one what else I should check.
frsyth72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

sounds like a good place to start... i would check all the brake hoses as well.. make sure they are collapsed and cracked and such... might as well change pads/shoes and have the disk/drums turned (unless they are new or done recently)..
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
frsyth72

Need more advice

Okay, I got the wheel cylanders changed out, but I still can't get any pressuse on the pedal. I bleed about 1 and a half of the big things of brake fluid through it using on of those one-man hand pumps. I got a little bit of resistance back on the pedal, but still not enough and when you turn on the truck all of the pressuse goes away. I checked for colapsed lines or leaks but haven't been able to see any. should I keep trying to bleed the brakes or start looking into something else. any thoughts??
Old 09-19-2004, 09:03 PM   #4
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

master cylinder?
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
beaterC10

Do you know for sure the front calipers and master cylinder are good? The puddle on the front could be from the master cylinder, the proportioning valve, or a failed hard line or hose.

I have found that if one part on the brake system quits, it generally means there are more parts waiting to fail. I generally lean more towards the shotgun approach on brakes. My reasoning is that the parts are relatively cheap and I hate going back to repair the brakes.

I would look real close at the rest of the system for leaks. You could also try disconnecting the lines at the master cylinder and putting some lines on from the outlet of the cylinder and submerge them in fluid in the reservoir and see if the master cylinder works.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterC10
I have found that if one part on the brake system quits, it generally means there are more parts waiting to fail. I generally lean more towards the shotgun approach on brakes. My reasoning is that the parts are relatively cheap and I hate going back to repair the brakes.
Exactly. when my dad drove ol red, he always changed EVERY brake thing at once; all the rear stuff, and whatever up front, and the master cylinder poots out regularly.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
frsyth72

Thanks

Thanks. The front calipers looked good and I havn't seen any leaks around, the front was completly dry. I will go a head a throw on a new master cylinder and proportioning valve on tonight and hopefully that will get it stopping again. Thank you again