The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Lobo'74

Windshield washer wiring

OK . . . the original wiper motor and washer pump are bolted together under the dash. From the 1967 chassis service manual, page 12-27, there are 5 electrical spades on this assy. One pair together, and one section of 3 with 2 of them close together and one about 1/2" away.

The wiring diagram shows the two together has a double connector running to it, with one yellow and one dark blue wire. From the photo in the chassis manual this looks like the section that is the washer pump.

The 3 connecter block has one double and one single connector. The double has a dark blue jumper from the other double, and a light blue wire. The single has a black wire.

The original wiper/washer switch on the dash has three wires, the black, the dark blue, and the light blue.

The yellow wire goes to the fuse panel

I have an '89 integral washer bottle and pump that I want to wire to the original switch. Connect its red lead to power, grey lead to ground and it squirts a strong stream of fluid out.

I figure the black lead to be a ground.

I think the yellow lead is the power lead.

I have no idea what the dark blue jumper connection is for. Is it for the intermittent pulse of fluid so you don't get a continuous stream of fluid when the wiper/washer knob is pushed in? The chassis manual (pg 12-25) says:
"The pumping mechanism is actuated by a four lobe cam and driven directly by the wiper motor. Thus, when the wiper is operated, this rotor is always turning with the gear. Programming is accomplished electrically and mechanically by a relay assembly and ratchet wheel arrangement"

For the '89 pump (one red lead and one grey lead) I need the correct wire from the original switch (black, dark blue, light blue) to jump to the red, positive lead. I will ground the grey lead in the engine compartment.

SO . . . the question is, since the yellow (power) lead does not run through the wiper/washer switch, I am wondering if I need to use the dark blue jumper as the power source, or the light blue? Which one will operate electrically through the above mentioned "relay assembly and ratchet wheel arrangement" to give me a squirt? My guess is dark blue . . .

I KNOW that some of you out there have the right answer for this.

I'd do some time under the dash with jumpers to find an answer but is snowing and Truck is in the driveway . . . Wifes car is in the half of the garage that is presently open.

Thanks for any help.
Lobo'74 is offline   Reply With Quote