The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
71RestoRod

Talking Editor’s letter in April’s Hot Rod Magazine – what a hoot!!!

I just got this month’s Hot Rod magazine. The Editor’s letter (David Frieburger, the Editor-in-Chief, calls this month’s letter a ‘Love Letter) is to his wife asking if he can buy a ’72 Suburban. This is really a hoot. There is even a picture of a really clean looking ’72 Burb. I think we should all email and flood him with more reasons to buy it!!! This will probably get moved because it’s too OT, but I thought everyone would get as much of a kick as I did. I like the part about asking her to get rid of the Volvo the best!!

------

Dear Karen,

I need to get another car. Well, it’s a truck, sort of—but more like a big station wagon, and you like wagons, right? It’s a ’72 Suburban for sale by a guy at work, and it’s only $1600. It’s green and white and everything, with this neat original plaid interior. What’s really funky is that it only has three doors, one on the driver side and two on the passenger side. People think that was a rare option, nut all the ’67-‘72s actually came that way. It’s also got the good barn doors in the back. It only needs a little suspension work, and the trans leaks a little bit, but I have a used Turbo 400 and a Gear Vendors Overdrive that would go right in it, so the mileage might no even be that bad. I could even drop in an engine I already have, and it would make a great tow vehicle. It’s just a little beat up around the edges, but it’s perfect that way because you don’t have to worry about it as much. It’ll appeal to your practical side.

You may wonder why I need another truck when we’ve already got five pickups, three of which don’t run, but the Sub isn’t really the same thing. It’s way cooler, and I don’t want to drive newer vehicles any more when I’m more comfortable in old cars that actually have some character and that I can fix myself. You always like it when I can fix things, plus it’s perfect for hauling things around in the rain, because stuff in the back won’t get wet like it would with a pickup, and you know how it always rains here in Los Angeles. I can even lock things up in the back for safety, too. The price of the Suburban is about the same as what we’d pay for a decent shell for a truck, anyway. And we could go camping. And I’d be so happy in it for trips to El Mirage in the summer. It wouldn’t matter that much if it got all dusty, and there’s plenty of room in the back to sleep. It would be perfect for if we got a dog. You want a doggie, right? And the Suburban is an automatic, so you could drive it too. It won’t really seem that much bigger than your Volvo once you get used to it. We could even get rid of your Volvo. Please, can’t we get rid of your Volvo?

I know we shouldn’t be spending money right now what with the mortgage and all, but I don’t think getting the house’s electric box fixed is really so urgent. It’s not like a ground strap is that important. Besides, if we got the Suburban, I could sell a few of the other cars that I don’t need, and we could stop paying for some of the storage units. I could really mean it this time, too. Just think, if I could finally get rid of the Mustang, killing that one payment alone would pay for the Suburban in five months, and that doesn’t even count the fact that the insurance would be much cheaper.

I know I already have 20 cars and no time to work on them, but I think we should get the Suburban anyway. I’ve got a reputation to protect, and guys would think I’d gone soft if I didn’t buy it, come up with several schemes about how to use it, let it sit untouched for five years, and then sell it at a loss. It’s just what I do. You understand. But it could be different this time. Besides, Todd already said he’s take it if I ever wanted to get rid of it. You can always count on Todd to be at the ready when I’m in a selling mood. And no, that isn’t why he got divorced. Well, maybe a little.

Can I have the Suburban, Sweetie?
Love, David.

Think this will work, guys? I could use some pointers here. Help a brother out.

David Freiburger email: hotrod@primedia.com

----
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote