The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Help me do it right the first time

Well I finally am going to be able to do my axle swap. After buying parts as $$$ allowed I've got most everything I need to do a complete axle swap so I want to make sure I do everything that needs done once and done right. I've got 5 days off next week to work on the truck and I am going to try and not rush anything. Here's a list of things that I'm going to do myself or have done.

1. The 12 bolt I have (donor) is getting cleaned up and regeared with all new bearings, shims, etc. and going from the 3.40 in there to the 3.73 with gov-loc carrier I have now. The gov-loc will eventually be replaced with a power trax setup.

2. I'll be getting the brake drums turned and also new pads, and springs inside to make sure all done. I'll have to replace the outer wheel bearings and seals but no problem there. Am I right in that just to undo the C clips and pull the shafts then replace the seals and bearings?

3. The axle needs a new paint job deperately. It has very little rust on it and will clean up good. I'll still place a rust preventative on it to be safe. I'll be painting it black but should rattle can work or should I break out the spray gun with compressor? I've never used the spray gun and tempted to try it. I just want it to look good once it's done.

4. I'll be pulling the whole axle with leaf springs and shocks. The shocks off thr donor are still good and no problem changing them out later on. The leafs I have will be painted like the axle will be once it's all removed. The bushings are being replaced with Performance Suspension polyurethane with graphite impregnated inside.

5. The u-joints will be replaced as well. They've been replaced a couple years ago but I'll go ahead and change them out as well (cheap insurance).

6. I'm also going to change out the U bolts and nuts if I can find some replacements at the store.

7. I'll change out the main hose coming to the axle as well for a new brake line.

8. What gear oil should I used? Is synthetic that good and will it affect the gears being setup and also what about the gov loc? The gears are used but still look strong and smooth wear pattern.

Anything else I need to do? Please let me know anything else you would do to change this up. I'm going from a 3.07 to a 3.73 so I hear it's going to be quite a difference. I've added a tranny cooler awhile back so I have thought about the difference on the tranny already.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote