The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2005, 03:46 AM   #1
84slopwaggin

Decision Time 84gmc Headache or 84chevy Bigblock Potential Headache

I already have a brown 84gmc shortbed which consist of a woreout 305(headers and flowmasters already installed) decent paintjob but needs a few dings ironed out of the metal to look better. Interior needs dash and carpet and has a 50cent piece hole in driver side seat. defrost not blowing up top at the windsheild but a/c ran until compressor started acting funny so with new compressor should blow cold again. I replaced the right side vent window(it was laying in floor when purchased) but the left side seeps a little wind as well. Power window/locks windows work, power locks only work manually. Tranny shifts fine but has slight leak (no biggie). All I have in it now is 1500 plus the cost of the flowmaster exhaust/rebuilt starter, so it's a decent project truck.

I'm at the point of buying a 350 crate motor(money in hand) and yesterday I go out for one last peep for maybe something a little easier to get going. I found a brown 84 chevy shortbed. Wow another brown my luck! Heres the goodies and uglies with a 15min survey of the truck. Big block not sure the size guessing 454 clean under the hood so not sure on the milage, headers, flowmasters, 750 edelbrock, edel intake, not sure what size tranny, no a/c(missing lines and compressor). The motor swap almost looks like it came from the factory with the exception of minor bends in headers to clear frame. Interior is clean, carpet not worn could use some die, dash is good but missing a/c vents, seat in really good condition, good door panels, manual window/locks. Exterior is all str8 except one blemish on the passenger door the size of your hand. It looks to have replacement front fenders lft and rht side and metal cowl induc hood. Hood and fenders need prime and paint. Truck is lowered maybe 3/4 drop and it has 20in. rims and tires. The driverside door doesn't open, figures with my lucky findings. The guy(lot) is asking $4200 for the truck, but I might be able to get the price lower. I don't need the 20's and the inoperable door I might be able to get him down to maybe $3500.

I suppose thats enough info for now. What I'm faced with is I was going to just add the crate motor to gmc, straighten the dings, add new compressor, replace carpet and dash, and just drive it on weekends and when needed. It's just sitting dusty with weak motor(25psi) now in drive way. I planned to go back sat (today) and test drive the chevy to see how the suspension feels and look it over again. I did start chevy (cold natured running on fumes) and it sounded like it had a mild cam but I need drive and look for problems. I was thinking with the replaced front cap if the frame is totally straight? I'm kinda in a small rush since it's back to work monday, but hopefully I'll make the better judgement on my decision. That big block is screwing with my spidy senses . If I buy the chevy I'll probably just sell my gmc for hopefully $1000 as I don't need 2 projects. Let me know what you guys think.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote