The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

All the sudden.....TICK TICK TICK?? Ideas?

Hey guys, hope somebody can give me some ideas of things to check.
I drove home from work today for lunch and let the truck sit for an hour before I got ready to leave. I just put a new performer intake and carb on this weekend and the truck's been running great. Before I started the truck after lunch I checked and re-torqued the intake bolts and thermostat housing bolts. They all needed snugged down a bit. Started it up and I get this fair volume tick from the #1 cylinder area. The weird thing is it isn't constant....it ticks about 8 times and then is quiet for 2-3 seconds and just keeps repeating in that loop. It kept doing that all the way back to work (only time I can hear it is at idle....super 40's ain't quiet!) but it ran like a champ. It doesn't sound like a header leak to me (got one of those on the other side ), all the plug wires are on tight, oil pressure is normal and the tick doesn't get louder when rpms increase. The whole ticking, quiet, ticking, quiet loop is what's really throwing me. What should I be checking?? Thanks guys, sorry for the long post!!
btw....motor is rebuilt 355 with about 8k miles

Last edited by swb85; 12-14-2005 at 05:42 PM.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote