The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
darrenr

Any quick reliable solution for rear end ring and pinion issue?

I just purchased this 1971 GMC Jimmy (Grandfather Medicine Cougar) with a sarcastic notion that it may be a driver. It may have a busted ring and pinion and who knows what else in the rear end.

My initial question (answered here before) is “Should I retain the ½ ton 10 bolt with 6 lug” or upgrade to a “3/4 ton 12 or 14 bolt with 8 lug”? My concerns are a lack of experience and lack of extra-$ and I don’t want to change the wheels/tires now.

In reverse, especially while turning, there is a pop, pop, pop in the rear end and there are small bumps on the exterior chrome rear axel cover like a demonic metal fly is trying to break out. Ring and pinion issue? If I replace the relatively small ring and pinion I may as well put in new bearings, etc (Parts and Labor $500 to $1000).

Someday, I want to upgrade axels, brakes, wheels, tires, etc (Parts and Labor $3,000+) to make Grandfather near bullet proof when I have more funds and if we are wheeling more often. Right now I need to get him on the road daily with a quick, cheap, clean bill of health.

Does anybody have any quick reliable solution for a rear 1/2 ton 10 bolt ring and pinion issue? Or rather than spend the money on repair of the 1/2 ton, should I just park it and wait a few months until I can upgrade to 3/4 ton front and rear?

Last edited by darrenr; 08-30-2006 at 07:35 PM. Reason: 2 part question
darrenr is offline   Reply With Quote