The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Pyrotechnic

Catalytic Converters and Emissions in Texas

When did the 73-87 1/2 ton 2WD trucks start getting catalytic converters, for non california emissions models ?

Reason is, I'm in Texas and trying to avoid dealing with any emissions stuff as it's just going cost money and subtract power. The law here states that any vehicles from 2 to 24 years old must be tested for tailpipe emissions. 1982 would be the highest year at this time that would be exempt. It also states that vehicles about 1984 that originally had a catalytic converter must have it in place.

I previously had a 1978 Silverado and I didn't have to worry about anything. Sometimes they'd give me crap about my open element K&N and not having the original air cleaner and heatpipe but that was easy to throw on right before getting it inspected.

I'm in the market for another truck though and trying to figure out the highest possible year I can get without having to deal with any emissions stuff like the AIR system for the exhaust or catalytic converters.

Right now I figured 1983 will be about as high as I'd be willing to go, since next year that will be exempt from emissions and it's under the 1984 catalytic converter cut off. If they didn't originally come with them up till 1987 though, I could probably just dump a bunch of alcohol in my tank to pass the emissions test, but since I do plan to tune the carb rather than just taking it out of the box and bolting it on, I'm pretty sure I could pass it although the cam I have does have a very noticable idle.

What do you guys think? Anyone else in Texas have experience with this ?
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote