The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Sadist

New Board Member, New Jimmy

Hey all,
I've been lurking here for a while, I've finally pulled the trigger and got on the board...
Just picked up my first Jimmy. It is an all original rig, a 72 with under 60K on the clock. The first owner ran this thing for 10 years, then parked it after his trans let go, it's been quietly rotting away ever since...
It needs a lot.. rocker boxes are shot, rear quarters as well as both door bottoms are trash, the front is okay, just a little screwed up... it has a good frame, roof and windshield frame, i'll need to reseal everything and go through the driveline.
The plan.. return this to stock form.

I have ordered the bulk of the sheet metal needed to whip the rockers back into shape, and will tackle that repair while the body sits on the chassis. Then i'll start on the quarters, and do the door bottoms.

I figure doing it this way will save space in the shop, I'll only have the body off the frame for a short while, (i'll be sure to add bracing to the door frames).

Any thougths? Am i right to try to build the bulk of this thing while on the frame?

I should have the sheetmetal i ordered by the end of next week, I'll try to get pictures of my progress and upload them. I hope to get the front clip off by saturday as well as the engine / trans and t'fer case out.
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote