The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Rreemo

Another PS and PB question

Hello Everyone,
I've taken a bit of a different direction with my current project. I have a 70' C10 SWB that I'm working on. I'm doing a frame-off, but a little different from most...instead of stripping everything and starting with my current frame, I located a really good deal on a 69' frame that was already blasted and refinished with new busings in the control arms, trailing arms, all new hardware, etc. It also already has a 5-lug 12-bolt with 3.73 posi. Basically an abandoned project from someone else that I picked up REAL cheap. So I purchased this with the intent that I would build from that point, and eventually just move my front clip, cab, and bed over to it....especially since my 70' is still all manual, 6-lug, and drums. I also have a 72' parts truck with P/S, P/B, etc.

I had previously purchased a set of CPP drop spindles, so I also have brand new 73-87 upper/lower ball joints and outter tie rods with the CPP adjusting sleeves that accept the smaller inner tie rods. I plan to use the P/S gearbox from the 72', and I went ahead and purchased new 71-72 calipers, brake hoses, etc. to go with the CPP spindles.

The first question that I have is for the pitman arm...the 72' parts truck has a good one (actually looks fairly new), so I'm hoping that I can simply move the whole box with arm over, however, I'm wondering if that pitman arm will work with the 70' drag-link?

As far as the steering goes, is there any difference in the column itself...or should the 70' non power column work with the 72' P/S box? Anything else you guys think I might be missing?

As for the brakes, I'm assuming that I just need to replace the hard lines with 71-72 stuff? All of this stuff is complete in my 72' parts truck, but since I'm going this far, I'm thinking that all brand new lines would be a good idea...and I'm planning to plumb everything before setting the body on. However, I was thinking that I'll use the prop valve and booster off of the 72'.

Since I am still using the control arms that came with the 69' frame, I realize I'll have to do something about the brackets for the lines/hoses, but is there anything else I may not be aware of here? Perhaps I can just cut the brackets off of the 72' and weld them onto my 69' cross member? Any other options you guys have done on this?

I appreciate any feedback you guys can give...I've already done a search through the forums, and got a lot of good info from what I've read...just had these few remaining questions.
00=ss=00

Last edited by Rreemo; 12-05-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Rreemo is offline   Reply With Quote