The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2003, 05:29 PM   #1
Truckstr

(Long) Isn't working on old trucks fun (/sarcasm)

I've been working on my '67 for the past week. I bought the truck about two months ago.

It all started when I changed the oil for the first time. Some goof had installed one of those expandable rubber plugs as the drain plug in the oil pan. It was hard to get out, but when I did I realized why it was there. Somebody had stripped the threads out of the pan.

Well, I decided that since the oil pan gasket was leaking anyway, that I'd just change out the pan. So far, so good. It would even give me an excuse to make sure that everything on the bottom end of the engine looked good.

I ordered a new oil pan from Summit, along with a new two-piece timing chain cover, Max-flow water pump, a set of MSD plug wires, distributor cap and high-perf coil.

Oh, and one of those Fel-Pro, one-piece oil pan gaskets. I'll let ya'll know later how that works out.

I already had another distributor that I had rebuilt and installed an adjustable vacuum advance cannister and mechanical advance springs in. (remember this little item for later)

I got a new timing set and oil pump from the local parts house. No use in taking the motor down that far without those two new parts - besides, they're cheap.

I pulled everything down and cleaned it up and painted what I could. The previous owner had painted the engine black. Don't EVER paint an engine black. It might be pretty, but if you ever get an oil leak - well, good luck finding it.

Everything was going back together smoothly. Too smoothly. Murphy was lurking there, just waiting to "muck up the works" as the British say.

I installed the harmonic dampener, only to find that it interfered with the new two-piece timing chain cover. Rats!

I stewed about that until I decided yesterday (afterv alot of careful measuring) to cut the "lip" off of another timing chain cover that I had. I smoothed it up and, once I was satisfied that it wouldn't leak, I installed it.

Okay, says self, let's get this muthu runnin'! (aside: self says, 'yeah, right!' {sarcastic self})

Everything is all buttoned up. Now, let's install that new distributor.

Out with the old one, in with the new. Last thing to do: make up the new plug wires and fire it up.

The moment of truth finally arrives. Get in and crank it.

Nothing.

Crank it some more.

Again, nothing. WTF? (self says, 'I told ya so' - shut up self, nobody asked you)

Okay, let's go through and see what's wrong. Well, it had fire to the distributor, but nothing out of it. Bad module, maybe? Nah, it's the same one out of the old dizzy.

Pull the distributor. Switch a part and reinstall it and try it again.

Nothing. Sassin' frassin' double crassin' $#%@ POS!!!

Okay, calm down. What's left? Well, there's that little - what's it called, a reluctor - in the bottom of the distributor. It's a used one out of an old distributor. Maybe that's it.

Bingo! She fired right up.

Murphy had to get his digs in one last time, though, by setting of the smoke alarm from the burning engine cleaner on the headers.

Took her out for a spin. After she warmed up, she layed two nice long strips of rubber through first and most of second gear.

As I sit here, I'm bone tired and ach all over. So, why do I put myself through this?

Well, I love these old trucks!

Just thought that I'd share.

See ya,
Jeff

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote