The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #26
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Powdercoating Issue. Grrrr!

well gang, the plot thickens, and it's not good.

a few days ago, I noticed that the rear license plate bracket I had powdercoated (with the same guy)was not the exact same color white as the rear bumper. so I called my pc'er up and explained the issue. he stated that he didn't put a clear on it and the clear actually had a color to it. whatever. so I took the bracket by after work for him to hit it with a clear. as I pulled into the parking lot, the garage door was open I and I saw my 15 x 8's still on the rack and still with el crapo powdercoat on them.

okay, I'm starting to get a bit pi$$ed now. my wheels haven't been touched, the bracket is the wrong color, and I am not happy with the bumpers anyway (but would pay for them). I took the rear bumper with me just to prove the color difference, but he didn't need to see it.

so I get home and unload the rear bumper out of my car. NOW WHAT!! there is a 4" wide off white stripe that runs across the bumper. what's this??? it's faint, but it's there and it's noticable. why me?!

so I am now steaming. I go inside and ring the pc'ers phone off the hook until he answers.

so I say I am livid. I said that I'm done with his services. I asked why my wheels have't been touched, why the bumper was discolored, why the bracket didn't match, etc, etc, etc.

here's his explanation. I'm paraphrasing.......

the wheels are my fault because they weren't clean enough. that's why the powdercoating bubbled. he says that the blaster was to blame. he is not to blame that they bubbled. he has no idea why the bumper was discolored. he said he should have been told that it was for a show vehicle (they are for my brother's frame off 70 K5 Blazer). I guess if they are for a show vehicle, something would have changed?? whatever. oh yeah, he has a broken leg that's in a cast. he actually thinks this should help his case........

so I now say I want my wheels, the rear bumper, and the license plate bracket sandblasted clean and I will come and get them. I also say that I am ending my business dealings with him and I won't bother him anymore.

so now his way of negotiating is that the wheels are my problem. They were "dirty" and not cleaned properly. (but he did take the job.) so the powdercoating that looks like crap and bubbled will be staying on there. come and get them. he will have the rear bumper and license plate bracket cleaned, but I can pick them up at the blaster's myself.

so here's the tally. I am out the blasting for the wheels, $100. I will have to get the front bumper blasted, I'm out another $20. then the process of finding a powdercoater that levels with me about the possibilities of crappy adhesion of coating.

these bumpers were for my brother's truck. I had bragged about my pc'er and my brother trusted me. now I have 2 bumpers that look like crap (imho) 5 rims that have molten lava on them, I'm out money, headaches, time, and GAS!!!!!

thanks guys for being my friend and my sounding board.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 06-03-2008 at 09:07 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote