The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
asphaltburner

FRANKENTRUCK roams!

Yo!
FRANKENTRUCK has been on light duty, roaming northern Colorado, and is now due for some down time to retorque the head bolts on the brand new 350 V8.
For those of you not familiar, FRANKENTRUCK is a custom assembly of a '78 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, custom built 350hp/411ft lb torque 350 V8, TH400, NP205 twin-stick, and '73 axles: Warn locking Dana 44 front and 5560 lb full-floating rear from a donor flatbed. Pics:

Name:  110208 001 (Custom).jpg
Views: 719
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  110208 002 (Custom).jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  110208 006 (Custom).jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  86.4 KB

Name:  110208 005 (Custom).jpg
Views: 556
Size:  66.5 KB

And here's a link to the build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=301610
Farmed out only one job to the only mechanic I trust,...in Galeton, CO,...and that was the brakes due to the horrible change in the weather this last month. Cost me $1200 for complete bearings, brakes, and a tie rod end, so I'm glad I didn't attempt the rebuild in the garage at single digit temps! Far bigger job rebuilding the 35 year old axles and steering than I had origonally anticipated (typical, huh?)!
But now it's PERFECT! Just like a new truck,...but better! Now it's time to pull the headers, re-torque the head bolts, and re-assemble. THEN I'll beable to turn FRANKENTRUCK loose! Haven't felt comfortable bringing the 350 V8 up to high rpms without having the engine broke in properly. The truck has 4.11:1 rear gears and is at good rpm at 70 mph even with the 36" diameter commercial truck tires (I worry about the big valve heads even though I get good back pressure with the 2.5" "H" pipe duals and turbo mufflers).
All systems are a "go" at this point, although I still have an open circuit in the fuel sender line, so my fuel guage pegs beyond full (no big deal, I installed a second 20 gallon tank when I built the electric fuel pump-with returns system!).
Still need to install my w/s squirter lines on my new steel hood, but squirters work nicely, and I have one dash light that intermittently goes off and on, but effects nothing except guage lighting. Wire for my electric choke and one to my installed dash toggle to turn off the "ever-on" interior fan will finish electrical. I DO have some door threshold trim to finish installing too.
I'll have a new w/s installed when the weather is good enough,...already have the rubber gasket and chrome trim for it.
I'll be covering my new upholstery with a cheapy seatcover so that my dogs can enjoy the ride too, and then all that will be left is some minor bodywork and paint,...it'll be the same as the factory,...medium green,...perfect for a FRANKENTRUCK!
Wish the weather would co-operate! Been nice during the work week and crappy on the weekends, but my job has changed a bit, and I may have more chances to work on the little stuff soon! Been replacing a door latch assembly and window regulator in my daily-driver '76 Camaro recently, so that's been slowing me down, as well as the holiday responsibilities.
I know this sounds drawn out to alot of you, but I work full time, do all my own work, and don't have a heated garage.
Took me eight months to build FRANKENTRUCK.
Anyway, damn thing fires right up, even without a choke, has tremendous power, and I'm still amased by the front wheel drive!
Hope to post some tire smoking pics soon, Todd.