The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
jdurant

I've been thinking...Opinions/Advice Please

I've been busy working on my house, so I haven't spent alot of time on the board this year. Trying to get some stuff (a real shop is my next step) done, so I can work on my projects throughout the summer. Anyway, been thinking of taking on yet another project.
I have really been loving the 73-79s lately. And been thinking a stepside would be super cool. If I were to ever build a "sport" truck, it would be on that platform. I could finally put those 17" or 18" shelby wheels I've been pushing so hard, bucket seats, console, manual of course, mild static drop. Keep it very very simple. S10fan's truck did alot for me. I've also been thinking how nice a smaller, lighter, little gas saver would be. By the way, how much would a typical stripped down stepside weigh?
With that in mind, I was thinking a very mildly modified fuel injected 4.3/5-speed. Or even better, but I don't know much about these, a straight six. But a with a 5 speed. Is that possible? Would it work for what I want? Is it viable option at all? Tinker with it and make it handle. Then one day after I am done with my other projects and am looking for something to work on--put a different power plant and make it haul a$$.
Wouldn't that be nice to have before gas prices go back up for the summer.
It just so happens that I've had my eye on this truck a few blocks down the road from me. Its a perfect candidate and the guy saw me at a local hardware store in my blazer and asked if I knew anybody looking for a stepside.

There it sits, fairly straight, interior somewhat there, new wood in bed, pass fender has a hole--the only rust I've seen, the cab and rockers in good shape. Rolling. No motor.
I think he might be interested in trading the truck for the those Iroc wheels that I still have laying around. So it might not cost me a dime. I did an olive green photoshop the other day. I'll post later when I get home.
What do you think?
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 02-09-2009 at 02:56 PM.
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote