The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
LaraWilde

I went for a little drive around Australia

G'day everyone,

I haven't been on here for awhile as I have been touring around the country.
I headed out in November just me, my poodle and my 1972 Cheyenne K20. We covered close to 15,000 kilometers in 3 months and saw a lot of gorgeous country.
In November I left Queensland and headed up through the Northern Territory, we drove through the Kimberleys and down the West Coast.
In 48 degree Celsius heat we blew the tread off 3 tyres and my 2 spares were about to go the same way. Having 16.5" rims we had a 5 week wait to find tyres in Australia and then I could only find 4.
With 2 dodgy spares we limped home across the bottom.
The old girl ran like a dream the whole way except for the flat tyres and a leaky windscreen (just had her painted).
It was an awesome trip and if you ever get to Australia I strongly recommend you do it.
We camped out most nights under the stars and used about 10 litres of diesel every 100 kilometers which was handy because it meant that I could pick and choose the cheap fuel along the way.
The dearest fuel was $1.97 per litre and the cheapest was $1.18.
Met some fantastic people and saw some unbelievable country... all without air conditioning or a wireless.
I arrived home on February 15th to find a letter telling me that I had until December 31st to tell them if I wanted my licence suspended... so to top it all off I drove the most of it with no licence. Thank-God I didn't have an accident.
I will post photos if I ever figure out how to.
LaraWilde is offline   Reply With Quote