The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
hcaz095

Question truck backfired, ran rough, and now has no electronics

well, thats the story... I ran into town 7 miles to get some lumber to finish our wood shed.... going up a hill the truck backfired, ran rough for 1-2 mins, and now has no electronics. At first I thought it was sucking fumes as I had over 130 miles on the tank, and the uphill with turning led to it not getting enough gas.... i turned around downhill to go back to town... truck was still running, but quite poorly, but i limped it close enough to the gas station, that i only had to push it half a mile to the gas station... filled up a few gallons, but there is nothing working as far as electronics... not even the gages or ignition cranking... nothing.

I'm thinking it is prolly an ignition problem, as although it sounded bad, there is no oil/ fluid leaks, truck has ran great for the first 800 miles of ownership.

Dad said it might have had the points arc... any input? I planned on doing a tune up in the next few weeks, so I guess this just sped things up.

What else should i check?

Should I upgrade to HEI at this point? as I might have to replace distrubutor/ rotor...and plugs, wires, etc.

How much am I looking at as far as cost total to do that?

~Zach
hcaz095 is offline   Reply With Quote