The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
akpackfan

New owner in Alaska.......

Hello all, just bought my first "project" truck. '71 Chevy C10 LB. Engine was replaced in '07 with a 350 crate motor, Edelbrock intake and carb. Electronic ignition installed. May have gotten into more than I bargained for. I can turn a wrench but know nothing about body work and am not a "mechanic" by any means.

Body has typical rust for a "northern climate" vehicle. Rockers are gone, pulled out the carpet and found a lot of surface rust and some small holes with thin weak spots in the floor pans. Body has areas of surface rust. Drivers side cab corner is rusted through. Drivers side fender behind the front wheel is rusted through. Bed overall is in good shape. Original wood bed and metal strips. Back bumper is aftermarket but the chrome is peeling off with a good amount of surface rust on it.

Interior is pretty good besides the floor pans. New red uphostery on the seat. Dash is solid. All gauges work except the temperature gauge (no tach). Has a J&M shifter installed on the floor that took me half a day to figure out how to use it.

Anyway, based on my short description, any advice? This is not to be a show truck or "custom" but something I can drive for fun once in a while and tinker with over the winter. I would like it to look "nice" though. I need to get the rust under control so no more of the truck rots away, correct? My first question is what vendor does everyone recommend for replacement parts? LMC? Brothers? Early Classic Enterprises? Classic Parts?

Thanks for any advice and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I dive into it.
akpackfan is offline   Reply With Quote