The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #27
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Re: HELP! Does this drop look right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGAS View Post
This may sound like a stupid idea, too, but did you rock the truck after installing the springs (especially if you have a sway bar installed)?

Because of the geometry and the rates for the springs, the fronts can be held up even by gas-filled shocks...which could add to your headaches if you want. Are you using the same type or family of shocks front and rear?

If you just want to remove some headaches and exercise some muscles, just rock up and down on the front bumper, then see where the front sits. Often we hear a big "klang" as the front gives to where it wants to settle.

Also our longbed trucks will have a different visual look than shortbed trucks with the same drop (and a couple extra pounds on the back, but those springs would have to be awfully soft for that to account for more than a half inch). My longbed has 40-years-of-farmwork rear springs that collapsed almost two coils from sitting while overloaded and my rear shocks are abused but not blown, which may be a closer ballpark to what you started with. I'll stand a T-square up to the wheelwells tomorrow, but I think it looks level (at the frame/bedrail/bodylines) this way.

Most everything else I'd have to offer, would be a repeat of what's already been said--
Thanks CSGAS. I'm going to run it around for a few days before doing anything else to it, but may wind up chopping some height off the front spring to bring it down a bit more (either the stock or the drop ones...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10 View Post
Those definitely look like 6" rear springs to me!
They were about 4" shorter than the ones that came out, but a hell of a lot thinner too... I'd be interested in an axle to fender measurement from someone with a 4" and someone with a 6" drop

I actually like the rear, I think I'll be happy with it when I bring the front down. Maybe cut the stock springs and hang on to the drop springs and swap them back in along with some drop spindles to do it right.

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote