The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
texnician01

Towing a gooseneck trailer with a C-10

Hello everyone, have a couple questions. I have a 69 2wd, lwb, c-10 with 327, sm465, 3.73 rearend and HD rear springs. I also have an antique pulling tractor that I am needing to tow occasionally. Maybe 200 mi once a month not a daily haul. I am looking at a 20 foot deckover gooseneck rated at 14,000 lbs. My tractor would be a MAX 9000 lbs. I know that GM rated the 12 bolt up to something like 6800 GVWR in the later heavy half trucks. and the outer axle bearings are used in many 3/4 and 1 ton semi floating applications too. I am looking at putting on some small airbags just to adjust ride height if needed.

First, anyone have a gooseneck hitch they are currently using how is it installed, no one makes a bolt in hitch for these because of the crossmember over the rear axle (coil springs) that the shocks bolt to. I am currently planning to fabricate a hitch cutting the middle out of the crossmember and using a giant piece of C-channel, with some large angle or 3" C-channel extending out to the framerails.

Second, anyone have any info on what the 12 bolt will handle? I currently have drums all around but will be looking for a set of 3/4 lower a arms soon for disks up front and maybe HD rear brakes. Trailer will also have brakes on both axles. Any info on what the max weight rating was on the 12 bolt from any year?

I know the axle will handle more than the 5000 gvw on the factory plate. my grandfather had a 67 with a 12 bolt, he worked heavy equipment, that truck hauled 1500lbs of cargo every single day of it's life. On many occasions much more than that. I have hauled 4000lbs of gravel in my truck, i worried about it a bit but it made it. That was totally an accident by the way, never doing that again. Have the scale slip to prove it somewhere. I figure I might be able to load the tractor and have the trailer carry most of that weight but I figure I may have 1500 lbs to 2000 lbs max on my truck. I have a truck to use it, this is not a garage queen, but don't want to get crazy with it either. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. By the way, "get a 3/4 ton" is not an option.

Thanks, have a good day.
05 Harley Night Train
06 1200 Sportster (Wife's bike)
70 Honda CL350

OIF2 & OIF7 Veteran

Nathan & Tiffany
texnician01 is offline   Reply With Quote