The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
thejed72

spot weld a new floor in a '69 GMC? and a few welding Q's

This is my first post so be gentle...

I did a search on others replacing, so I get the basics of all involved, but I still have a few questions.

My floor is SHOT. I have a place down the road selling complete floors for cheaper than a few of the venders, and better yet, there's no shipping on it. I'm thinking of just cutting out the whole thing and starting fresh. The edges are rotted 6-8" inside the doors, and what's good is pitted and rough underneath. No through rust in the center, but the floor/cab supports are rusted out on the outer edges, cab corners and rockers are gone. Kick panels are rotted at the bottom 1-2" both sides, and the driver's is a little rotted a little into the firewall, but not much. The cab has more rot that can be patched, and we'd like to keep this cab. Plus, we're East Coasters, so I can't imagine in central PA finding much better. My question is this, when you guys are replacing entire floors are you just plug welding, welding or ??? I have access to a spot welder and my welding skills are minimal., but willing to learn. I know these things were all spot welded originally so... Advice. I know things like the kick panels will need welding and the firewall, but can the majority of it be spot welded in? Also, any cheap welding suggestions? I know it's harder, but can you arc weld this stuff in? Planning on doing the floors, rockers, cab corners, kick panels, and a few minor patches.

BTW, '69 GMC short step half ton with a sixer.

Sorry for the long post.
thejed72 is offline   Reply With Quote