The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

What did you get done 5/15/2011 edition

It was another bsuy week for my truck . Monday morning I started by taking my grinder and cutoff wheels and squaring off the heads of the bed bolts on my truck. I knew the bed was shot and i had bought a replacement bed from craigs list. Once i got the bed off my son and i dedided to wire brush off some of the rust on the frame and we noticed the top of the frame on the upper rail was rotted pretty badlu. One of my new neighbors happened by and he is an old chevy fan. He handed me some quarter inch steel and told me to make repair panels and he would weld them in so back to work with the grinder cutoff wheel and some drills i went.
Last week i had ordered some tie rod ends and a idler arm so while i was doing the fabrication my son and his friend muscled out the old parts and threw them on along with new shocks all around.
I didnt like the look of the control arms and the front springs , not to mention that the truck made all kinds of clangs when you drove it so we ordered upper and lower control arms complete and cargo coils.
I wasnt about to attempt the control arms without air tools so i made arrangements to get the truck to the shop on friday for that.
Years ago when i first got the truck the windshield was cracked. I figured why not take care of this too while i was at it so i had the mobile glass guy change out the windshield for $210 dollars.
Tuesday we had the fellow weld on the panels that i made for both sides of the chassis and we also made some quarter inch spacers for the rest of the bed. I had a couple of guys come by after work and we put the new bed on.
Tuesday night was cruise night so i took a chance and me and the wife drove the truck to the track and ran her once against a buddys ford... we wont get into the results of that..
Later this week i had the new control arms installed and decided to go for a set of tires on the front so all the rubber is new and now the truck rides nice.
While in the auto parts store i decided to also buy a chrome differential cover and that was also installed, and the rear end serviced.
I also replaced the old rear view mirror with an aftermarket that hopefully wont shake at highway speeds..
Im debating on pulling the somewhat tired 305 and getting a crate 350 from Jegs and throwing that in with the headers and true dual exhaust
Im hoping after the first of the month to start on the body work..
if progress keeps up like this i may actually be done with this truck before the end of summer..
How about you all?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote