The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
73crew

questions on lowing an srw crewcab

new on here with a 1984 crewcab and been lookin around for lowering ideas. ive found that there isnt spindles for 3/4 or 1 tons and i dont want to convert the suspension to 1/2 ton or bag it so, as far as i know, my only option really is cut the stock coils or buy lowered coils ( i read somewhere 1/2 ton lowering coils will fit a 3/4 ton , is this true guys?) and then out back ive seen some things about guys using the rear spring hanger off a suburban becouse its shorter which lowers the truck 2" , but my crew already has these shorter hangers stock and theres is no room for an axle flip without a good sized c-notch which i dont want. would it be ok to move the spring hanger( not shackle hanger) higher up on the frame? right now there is 6 rivets holding it on , 3 on each side . what i imagine doing is moving the bracket up 1 set of holes so the bottom 2 holes on the bracket are now where the middle holes on the frame are , but only 4 bolts would be holding the bracket on then, not 6. i figure shackles would give me 2" but throw off my pinion angle slightly, but then moving the spring hanger up would give me another 2" and put the pinion angle back to normal , and removing the overload would give me another 1" so i could be at 5" in the rear. does this sound good?
and then how many coils up front can i safely take out? im thinking 1 & 1/2 or 2. also ive heard cutting from the bottom gives a soft ride where as cutting from the top gives a hard ride? so if i cut 1 & 1/2 coils out would it be smart to maybe cut 1 coil from the top and a half from the bottom so its not to stiff or to soft?
73crew is offline   Reply With Quote