The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
RoyL

65 Suburban Posi Noise When Hot - Additive Didn't Help

Sorry, this seems to have discussed in several places, didn't want to tag onto an old thread, but bring what I read to my situation and see what I can learn.

Had the Burb since January. Got her running and have been taking short trips checking things out. Didn't notice the noise until after a longer trip. After reading several similar threads here and elsewhere, my posi noise sounded typical, "clunking" when turning from a stop or turning at very slow speeds. The clunking is pretty severe, feels like the rear end is gonna fall out. I tried the most recommended solution: Add the posi additive and the noise will go away. So I drained the diff, added the gear oil (80w-90) and the posi additive (generic at OReilly's). I saw no metal shavings in the diff oil when I drained. Thought that worked but once it got up to temp, the noise was back. Tried circling around in a parking lot left and right turns to "work the lube in?" No help.

What do I try next, before taking to a rear end shop? Axle bearings?

Thx,
Roy