The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
overloaded

From the new guy...what to do with a LWB c30 dump?

Hi All...time to stop lurking and start posting. I grew up in a truckless family (dad towed trailers and hauled firewood in a 69 Cadillac convertible...) and always idolized the late 70's Chevy and GMC trucks. But I never had one until recently - There was always another brand in the driveway.

It started with a 78 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6 cylinder and header...which got me hooked. Then when I needed to haul gravel to build our driveway, I ended up with this beast.
75 Chevy C30 with a mildly built 454, 4 speed, and monster 8x12 hydraulic dump. One owner, 80k miles, runs and hauls great. 4.56 gears.Original owner installed the bed for a concrete business, and it really belongs on a 2 ton truck. The bulkhead alone has to weigh 300lbs!?

But now that I'm done using it, no one else seems to want it for anything more than scrap price, so I guess it will stay around. But what to do? I don't need to drag around a 2500lb flatbed everywhere I go...Was thinking of building a lighter, fixed in place flatbed, or even a ramp bed. And now that a 16yo kid pulled out in front of my 3/4 ton, I'm short a tow rig for awhile.

Have you guys seen anything interesting done with this longer chassis? (BTW, that's 6.72 tons of limestone in the back...truck doesn't even flinch)
Attached Images

overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote