The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
56hotrodred

Re: corvette style straight down dump ram horn manifolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
How would you get the straight down dump manifold to work with your truck frame? they're going to hit the crossmember. The pics shown here are of an early truck with front mounts on the engine and no crossmember under the engine? I believe you'll have to use the angle dump manifolds. You have a stock 305, don't worry about the 2.5" deal. 2" will be fine. run the down pipes 6" or so and convert to 2.5" back to the bumper. by the time the muffler shops uses their bender the pipes will really be 2" anyway.
I have put a miss-matched pair of straight down dumps on and they seem to work no problem. This is a lifted 4x4 with lots of room under there. The curved back type on the right hand (passenger) side is real close to my starter and I do not like that!

It was the 2x4's that had to have the curved back dumps to clear the front crossmember if I am not mistaken.

With the way mine is looking and going I am going to see if I can find the match to my one straight down dumps but if not I am not going to worry about it too much on this particular truck. I now am not at all thinking about the 2.5" corvette straight dumps but if I happen across a set in my travels I am going to grab them possibly for my 56 project.

Thanks all for your input.

56hotrodred (Barry)
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote