The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
CC69Rat

Re: Did anyone see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardreams View Post
would love to know then why does my big block get 17 MPG not 9 like they say
Amen brother ..

I don't understand how I could go and buy a 2013 Silverado today, and drive it home getting ~18mpg with the LS engine and whatever tranny.

Pull the same engine out, and put some performance mods, cam, headers, and 800 more horses out of the LS, and now it gets 25mpg ?

I'm not trying to start a pissin match here, but I'm thinking maybe some of the younger folks need to drive a built big block before they comment on the magical LS setups? I saw and heard the comments too .. (quoting the dark haired guy on HP) ' We are going to remove this Big Block and hopefully sell it for as much money as possible to get as much or maybe more power with a later model setup.

If LS engines 'pull harder than any Big Block ever dreamed of' .. Why do you see them on Pass Time? 468 / 600+ Cubic inch big blocks in 95% of the cars. An occasional LS ? It's about the tourqe fellas. Seat of the pants power. Now I give credit where the credit is due (LS engines are brutal too) .. But dont under estimate the big cube motors. Carb to carb, Turbo to Turbo .. call it what you will. Power is power and it takes gas to make it.

Bottom line I had my 396 (now 408 ci) left over from a 69 Camaro build. IF it kills me on gas I'll consider the LS package, absolutely. I understand fuel injection, I understand gearing, transmissions, stall speed, cams, .. I get it.

What I dont understand is how a 2005 Silverado for example is rated at 14/18mpg. If I pulled that same engine out and made it what I wanted it to be, I don't think it would still get 18mpg. (I'm using the Silverado for weight factor too) Yep, it's rated at 16/26 mpg for the Corvette BUT the ZO6 for example would weigh a lot less than the C10 / Silverado.

I hope I didn't chap anyone, It was not my intentions. My point is I agree, it's kinda goofy to me to just fill all the big blocks with concrete and sink them to the bottom of the ocean just because the LS setup gives us 5mpg. more (?) I'll stop now. Please, convince me I'm wrong if you choose to do so. .. and what, the $4k it takes to get me to a built LS with computer and the other stuff I need? I have two trucks. My big block is stayin, but I could put the LS in my GMC. .. (??) I'm asking.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote