The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
srea76

72 chevy siting for 5 years. Process to get it running?

ok engine gurus. I have a high school friend that come to me this week saying he wanted to sale me his 1972 custom 10 he has had for 20 years. He got it in 1992 for his 16th birthday. I know about 12 years ago he spent a small fortune on a small block stroker 400, turbo 350 trans with shift kit rebuild, and new rear end. I talked with him a while today and he is asking 3000.00. I may get it cheaper. The truck has sit under an open shelter for the last 5 years. Kids, new truck etc. The battery died, tires went flat, it just sit there and started to die. The truck rockers are both rusted out, floor on driver side has some rust. Really something I would not go after except I rode around with him in this truck when I was 16 and man does it bring back some memories. I have my baby I'm restoring, but would love to make this truck my daily driver.

So long story short..if everything was running fine 5 years ago when he stopped driving it. Could I flush all the fluids and try to start it up? I am definitely going through breaks, etc. for safety reasons, but just curious motor wise what would be my best path without hurting anything. All suggestions really appreciated!

Red Baron-72 c10 Project
srea76 is offline   Reply With Quote