The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
307K10

Gas mileage help please, (my first post)

Hey everybody!
Love all the info and pics on the site! I've been a member for a few months and haven't posted anything. Just been looking and reading a lot of great stuff. I could really use some help. I have my Grandfather's '72 K10. It's a LWB with 3 Spd manual and 307 V8. The engine was overhauled about ten years ago and is stock besides being bored .030 over. I started tearing it apart in May this year to restore it and will post some pics when I get home from work. Woops. Anyway, sorry to make this so long, my problem is the truck only gets 7 mpg. I would drive the thing everyday all day long if I could. I love that old truck and its full of memories and I will never part with it. I'm wondering if there is anyone who has some advice on whether I should swap trannies or just change the diff gearing to help improve the gas mileage. It is 4wd so I know there's more to it than would be for a 2wd. Also if anyone out there has a K 10 and is getting more than 10 or 12 mpg please let me know how. My wife is very supportive and loves my old truck too, but she kinda cringes when I talk about wanting it to be a "close to daily driver." Thanks for any help! Thanks again for all the other great stuff on here. I've used a lot of other ideas already.
307K10 is offline   Reply With Quote