The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
ksshane

need your opinion on a big block swap

Ive got this brother in law that has been tinkering with a 71 or 72 Malibu for at least the last 15 years. Every time he gets it going he changes his mind and starts tearing it back down. At this point in its life it needs a little rust repair and one fender needs to be replaced, but he has gotten bitten by the big budget rebuilds and wants to do a complete resto with and aftermarket chassis and the works.

Anyway (sorry.. had to share the back story). He built this wicked little 468 bb for the car, and Ive been drooling over it for awhile. Its got about 100 miles on it now, but its been sitting for a few years (no carb bolted to it and everything covered and sealed).

Yesterday I decided me and my boy would just jump in the truck and go see him. And as we are hanging out somehow that engine gets brought up and he says if I want I can drop the engine in my truck. The only stipulation is that one I have the engine gone over to make sure all the seals and such are still good and two once he gets his car ready for the engine either I give it back to him, or I give him 3500.00 for it.

What would you do?

Im not really concerned about gas. My truck is rarely driven, and the idea behind it is for me and my son to have something to bond over and hopefully take to the local car shows from time to time.

Also, will my 4 speed hold up to a BB? I did a search but didn't come up with anything. Looks like most people are putting 400 behind these.