The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
rbagley

Fuel issue

Background:
So I bought this '72 a month back and everything seemed fine. I drove it 50 miles or so to get home and took it out a few times after that without incident. The PO had sprayed the engine with some type of degreaser and didn't get it all off, so I was leaving a cloud of smoke behind/all around me once the engine would get up to temperature. To remedy this, I started cleaning up the degreaser, which led to me wanting to finish the job the PO had started. I tried various products and it eventually escalated to oven cleaner. I was trying to keep it off of sensitive parts, but I'm not sure how well I did at that. Truck has an original 350 with q-jet carb, stock intake, and 4 speed.

Problem:
The day after oven cleaner I couldn't get the truck to run. It would fire if I primed it with a few pumps of gas but would die once that ran out. While the truck is off, I can pump the gas a few times, turn the key, and it fires right up. The more times I pump the gas the longer it will run, but pumping the gas pedal does nothing once it's started. It still just dies once it uses up what I pumped in there before starting it. It will run anywhere from about 1 second to maybe 3.

Troubleshooting:
I pulled the carb filter and it was full of junk. I replaced the filter but still couldn't get it to run. I pulled the carb and did a basic rebuild, and that didn't fix it either. I pulled the air horn and the bowl has plenty of fuel sitting in it, but it just won't go into the engine once it's running. It seems to me that the oven cleaner has to be at fault, but I can't seem to make any headway.

Any thoughts?

Here are some pictures to keep people engaged.
Attached Images

Last edited by rbagley; 07-17-2014 at 12:54 AM.
rbagley is offline   Reply With Quote