The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2004, 06:25 PM   #1
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

need some help please

Im trying to setup the shifter on the column to shift the transmission. I have had it every way I can think of to get it right. I just cant seem to get it I come a little close but never get it like it should be. I set the column shifter in N neutral and the transmission in N neutral. The truck is totally lifted off the ground front and rear, no wheels are touching the ground. I can start the truck and the rear wheels immediately start spinning. I cant figure out why this is doing that if its in N neutral. It would seem to me that the driveshaft would not be turning nor the wheels in N neutral. The only time the rear wheels stop is when in P park. Maybe its just different because its not on the ground.

I made sure that the column was in N neutral by starting the truck and it did start. The neutral safety switch is also good and will only start the truck in park and neutral on the steering column. Pushing the shift lever forward I can feel the shift quadrants. I can go from the Low (1st) position all the way to N without pulling the lever back toward me. But it never has felt solid to me since I have owned the truck. Is there anything I can replace in the column to make it solid again? I can remember always having to check to see if it was in 2 gear and it always was when I would put it in drive. This was before the linkage got misaligned. So Im not sure what is causing the problem with trying to get this setup the right way.

I cant get all the gear positions on shifter and transmission to work together. Reverse seems to be off of when the backup lights come on. I cant get the transmission into 1st gear on the column. I know this isn't good for the transmission to be stuck between to gear positions because of the misalignment problems. So any insight would be helpful.

I cant drive it just yet to be able to tell more about the shifter because I need a brake line. I need to run a new line from the proportional valve block to the rear wheels. I want to fix it right and don't want any union fittings on my brake lines. I had to move the brake line and the gas lines when I installed the headers.