The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
tpankratz

lowering a LWB Heavy Half

Hello, I'm fairly new to the forum. Been lurking for awhile. I have a 79 long bed with the heavy half or big 10 package. It has the longer 8+1 leaf spring pack in the rear. I would like to lower it some this winter. I'm just not sure how much and the best way to do it. Here is a picture of how it sits now.

This truck is a daily driver in the nicer months, and I use it to haul my dirtbike around and occasionally pull my little pop-up camper. So I don't know if I want to go too low. I was considering a 3-4 drop with spindles (and springs if needed) in front and shackles/hangers in the rear. However, this truck seems to ride rough in the rear with the HD springs. If I remove the overload plus another spring how much will this lower it? If I did this and added a drop shackle would that get me there? I could just go straight to the axle flip but I'm afraid that will be too low for what I use the truck for.

I'm open to any opinions and advice. The next mod after this is going to be a 5.3/4L60E swap, but we'll save that for another thread if I need it.
tpankratz is offline   Reply With Quote