The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
davepl

Bucket seat springs and clips - shop threw it all away

My bucket seats have been a disaster.

If you know what I mean by that "slot" in the bottom seat cushion foam, there is then a rod in the seat cover that should fit into it. It's all there, but it's normally "pulled down" into the seat chassis with a set of springs. That gives you the appearance of "seat bolsters" on the sides instead of it being a flat seat.

The shop I used, which was awesome in years past, has apparently changed hands and all they have is the name. They don't even have a steamer, but hope to get one someday. Yep. I should have looked into it more, but that shop did my Pontiac and they used to do all the stuff for the Lamborghini, Rolls, Mercedes, and other dealerships in the area. Not anymore.

Anyway, to add insult to injury, they just threw all of that stuff away - good luck finding new ones, I'd have to buy new seats. And they just hog-ringed the rods together which does absolutely nothing. Like they'd never seen a seat before.

Before I took it to them I had originally started to take the seats apart myself, but all of the crazy springs and clips and stuff, that might be unique to trucks, scared me as too complicated never having done it before, so I took it to a "professional" shop. I honestly would have been way better off guessing, like I'm doing now. At least I'd still have the damned parts. But I'm not bitter. Much.

I can try in the parts board to find a set, which I'm sure I won't, unless they came from a wasted pair of seats. But I'm wondering how exotic the stuff they threw away is, how many there are, if there are different sizes, and so on. If by some long chance someone has a photo of them from their own teardown or whatever, I'd sure appreciate it. Maybe I could make them out of more generic springs and wires.

And yeah, I could go and ***** at the shop some more and pout, but it won't fix the issue.

Thanks,
Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote