The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2004, 05:58 PM   #26
69oldie
Never too many LONGHORNS!

One more thing that I noticed that was missing in regards to these Eaton rear ends is:
1. The HO72 means 7,200 lbs. axle capacity and HO52 means
5,200 lbs. axle capacity. This difference is ONLY because size brake drums that where mounted to the axle housing it's self. There is NO difference in the actual axle housings. Depending on the year there was either 1/2" or 9/16" studs (note 1/2" stud doesn't automatically make it 3/4 ton rear end NOR does a 9/16" stud make it a 1 ton rear end!!!
So with this said, you could actually take a Eaton rear end coil sprung 3/4ton and make it a 1 ton by simply changing the brake drums (and backing plates) to the larger ones and have a 1 ton coil sprung Eaton rear axle. Just remember the coils would now Not match the newly found 2,000 lbs. capacity of the rear end!!
2. Two more problems with these rear ends that were not mentioned is:
A. The ring gear size is SMALL (About 10") and only has 10 bolts when compared to the Larger ring gear of the popular 14 bolt rear end (ranges from 10 1/2" - 12"!!). The 12" is found on Newer Chevy/GMC H.D. 2500's or 3500 with the 8.1 engines or Diesels Or All newer Dodges 3/4 -1 tons
B. The number of splines on the axle shafts (or lack of them). They have about half as many as the 14 bolt rear ends!

I actually prefer these axles though..............I like how they look and under the truck and I personally have never had a problem with them!!
Jim "69oldie"
69oldie is offline   Reply With Quote