The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2016, 12:08 AM   #1
the1066

Help with 283

It sucks to start on this forum with a question, but help is needed!

I own a 1966 c10 with a 283 small block, built. A couple days ago, I was soldering my wire connections to a tachometer. Being stupid, i didn't disconnect the battery leads, and shorted the ignition wire to the key with the fan motor briefly. thought nothing of it, fuses were all good. I accidentally pulled wires loose out of the ignition key, no problem, I re attached them, figured the case unrelated to the following scenario unless someone deems otherwise.

I went to start the truck, all it would do was crank over. I replaced the coil, figuring no spark. Battery at 12 volts. Still nothing. It got worse, now the starter would't even crank the motor over at all, just rapid fire clicking noise. I assumed I flooded the motor, gas was leaking out of the carb gasket. I waited an hour, then it cranked to life, but it was cold enough out that it died after a few seconds. I tried to start again, this time the starter wouldn't even crank the motor over again. The engine bay smells like gas. The oils smells like gas, it did slightly a few days before, meaning to do an oil change (still has plenty of oil in it) I'm assuming the starter solenoid went out, or starter is jammed on the flywheel; weird thing is that it did start once. I cleaned off the battery starter terminals, no luck. Hopefully I didn't hydraulic a cylinder. I also couldn't get a breaker bar on the front of the motor to see if it turned over manually, didn't have time to take the balancer off (fairly certain it has to).
the1066 is offline   Reply With Quote