The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
benw88

Ignition timing and cam Question,the good stuff

Hello everyone,

I have a 68 c10 swb with a sbc 350 with a muncie 4-spd shiften the gears. I have built this truck since I was 15, now in my old age at 20 I have realized some mistakes I made along the way.

The motor is a 70 year, edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock electric choke carb 600cfm, headers, MSD HEI street fire dizzy, dual electric fan, roller rockers, comp cam XE274H .

Cam specs: See attachment.

I am trying to learn how to properly tune my motor because it is currently not running good. I recently realized that I cant just slap components together without any plan and expect them to work:spank:. I am skilled mechanic and also going to school for mechanical engineering but I don't know if there is a huge problem with the current combination of components I am running.

1 st. I need to determine if the combination of carb, intake, cam, and Dizzy will work.

2 nd. How do I properly adjust my timing with setting the proper timing curve, advance, with the cam I have what full mechanical advance should I have and what advance at idle, and vacuum advance. Do I need a hotter coil or different dizzy?

3rd. How do I properly tune the carb. I have attempted jetting the carb numerous times but I feel that I need to figure my ignition out first.

I also pulled and resealed my intake manifold to make sure I don't have a vacuum leak. replaced the sparkplug wires, added the heat protection sleeves near the header to save the boots from shorting out. I also wired my dizzy through a relay so it has straight battery power.

Please excuse my terrible spelling I immigrated to CA from Germany in 07

Any suggestions or tips are already greatly appreciated.

-Ben
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 12-246-3 - Xtreme Energy™.pdf (151.2 KB, 52 views)
benw88 is offline   Reply With Quote