The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #26
ck5566
Account Suspended

Re: Lowering Block apinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Well, I now have 17" wheels with tires that have 4" of side wall. The lowest point of the suspension is 4.875" (the bolt head for the spring cup, and it is the lowest due to the 4" drop springs, on a stock truck the ubolt ends would be lower). So the blazer is safe from this now. My jimmy has 15" wheels with 5.5" of side wall. If I had a flat on it (and if I had 2" blocks on it) there would be some suspension drag.

This being said, I have driven for 38 years and had one blow out on tires I knew were borderline (actually, worse than borderline, but I was a poor kid). My toys get maintained much better than any of my old cars ever did.

I think Gary (Katrina10) is right if you had a fully inflated tire on the otherside then the flat side MAY not hit (I think your pictures with the blocks simulate both tires being flat instead of one...)

You have to do what makes you feel safe. Good luck, Rg
Roger (raggedjim) your 3rd sentence is half right, what you put in (parentheses) is what I (ck5566) did to show when both rear tires are flat in a extreme circumstance for the clearance and or the Scrub line problem.

Last edited by ck5566; 07-03-2016 at 02:30 AM.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote