The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
slaterson

454 Gear Ratio Advice Needed

Hey all, recently bought a '68 SWB with a 1980's 350 and TH400, manual brakes and steering and no posi. My eventual goal is a big block 454 (or similar) with 500+ HP. mated to a Tremec T56 5 or 6 speed, possibly Holley EFI, posi rear end, power disk brakes (at least fronts) and power steering with air conditioning.

My goal for this spring is to add some nice wheels/tires and power disk brakes. Unfortunately, I have found a crap selection of 6 bolt wheels so I am planning to convert to 5 lugs. The local scrap yards have a good selection of posi rear ends but I am wondering which gear ratio would be best for my planned big block setup? Performance trumps fuel economy. Planning on 20" AR Torque Thrust wheels with 275/40 rear tires (not sure of total tire height). Also, would rear disks really be needed? .. Any other advice? ... Thanks, love the forum so far!
slaterson is offline   Reply With Quote