The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
jorgensensc

Unhappy Truck Deiseling Problem/Brake problems...

Hey all,
Any help would be appreciated. To start with my truck brakes started acting up lately. They would slowly go all the way to the floor if I was sitting at a stoplight for any length of time and my brake light would come on (amazing it still works). I have power brakes. Next thing I know my truck wouldn't start, The starter was having a He!! of a time tring to start the truck. I thought it was heat soak, so I bought F$RD remote starter solonoid to install and fix the problem. My idle was also seeming a little low too. Well, I got that (solonoid) installed yesterday and noticed the sticker in the engine compartment that says my idle should be at 600 in drive and 1500 in park. Well I was at 400 idle and 800 park. I bumped up the idle and decided to check the Dizzy. Sure enough it was loose and had walked on me a little. I straightened all of that out, then reset the idle to 600 drive and 1500 park. Suddenly my truck starts fine (timing not being off helps a lot) and I think that all is well. My idle was low and that is why my brakes were slipping, right?

Well the truck runs awesome now, but the brakes are still doing the same thing. I don't have any fluid leaks either. The other problem is now when I turn the truck off, it wants to Diesel a little. I've never had that problem before either. Any ideas? I set the timing by ear, do you think it is off? I turned up the fuel richness just a little (1/4 turn on both sides). I also run 93 octane gas, so that should be O.K. right.

It has an edelbrock 600 electric choke that I have never had a problem with. It's ben on there for about 2 years. This truck is a daily driver and has been extremely reliable for me, and I drive it pretty hard. There are no other problems with it other than that. It doesn't use any oils either.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. For some reason I have the hardest time setting up carbs (and yes I know this is one of the easiest carbs to set up.)

Any ideas on what is going out on the brakes? The Master cylinder, proportioning valve, or the booster?

Thanks for all replies,
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote